The most difficult part of any diet is how to get started? There are so many questions and confusion on how to go about it?
Also, to begin any diet requires proper knowledge of food that’s allowed and foods to avoid before starting. Once you get the hang of it, in a few weeks it becomes easier.
Therefore, in order to get you started on this wonderful weight loss diet- ketogenic diet we have made a sample meal plan for 7 days.
But before that there are certain things you should know to help you to get your meal plans right!
Things to keep in mind while creating a ketogenic diet meal plan
Once you have decided on starting with a ketogenic diet there are certain things you should understand and stick to if you want ketogenic diet to help you achieve your goal.
- We understand switching to ketogenic diet can be overwhelming and difficult in the beginning. But the important thing to remember is it not that complex really! All you have to do is stick to the basic parameters of your eating plan.
- The focus should be on reducing carbs and increasing fat content of the meals and snacks.
- It is very easy for the body to come out of ketosis. This means that even a small serving extra corn in a day can increase the carbohydrate level allowed and thus resulting in the body using up carbs for energy instead of fats.
- The general rule to follow is lower your carbohydrate intake, the easier it is for the body to reach and stay in ketosis.
- Know what to eat and which foods to avoid properly to avoid making any mistakes.
- Stick to keto friendly foods and stock up on them in order to remain consistent and be successful in losing weight on a keto diet.
- Try to make your meals using healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado oil and olive oil to increase fat content in your diet.
- Use your meat and veggies in your diet in a way that your body gets enough nutrients and energy.
- Always stay stocked up on your staples.
- Consult your doctor before starting the diet to know if it’s right for you
A 7-day sample keto meal plan to help you get started
To help you get started, we have prepared a sample keto menu for a week.
The following meal plan is a general ketogenic menu which can be altered to suit individual preferences.
The following menu offers a meal plan with less than 50 calories per day but for some people they need to reduce carb intake even more to reach ketosis. Therefore, you can alter this plan according to your needs.
Breakfast: two scrambled eggs in butter topped with avocado on a bed of lettuce
Lunch: grilled salmon with spinach salad
Snack: pepper and celery sticks dipped in guacamole
Dinner: pork chop with sauteed greens and red cabbage slaw
Breakfast: bell pepper stuffed with eggs and cheese
Lunch: arugula salad with turkey, blue cheese, avocado and hard boiled eggs
Snack: macadamia nuts
Dinner: roast chicken with cream sauce and sauteed broccoli
Breakfast: sugar free whole milk Greek yogurt with peanut butter, berries and dash of cocoa powder
Lunch: ground beef wrap tacos with lettuce and bell peppers
Snack: kale chips
Dinner: loaded cauliflower and mixed vegetables.
Breakfast: fried eggs and mushrooms
Lunch: tuna salad with tomato and celery with a side of sauteed greens
Snack: sliced cheese and sliced bell peppers
Dinner: spaghetti squash Bolognese
Breakfast: cream cheese pancakes with blueberries with a side of grilled mushrooms
Lunch: chicken tenders made with almond flour with a side of greens with cucumber and goat cheese
Snack: meat-based bar
Dinner: grilled shrimp with lemon butter sauce with a side of asparagus.
Breakfast: smoothie made with almond milk, butter and protein powder
Lunch: a grass-fed meat burger in a lettuce bun, topped with cheese, mushrooms and avocado with a side of greens.
Snack: a handful of walnuts with some berries.
Dinner: white fish cooked in coconut oil with toasted pine nuts and kale.
Breakfast: coconut milk chia pudding with coconuts and walnuts
Lunch: low carb sesame chicken and broccoli
Snack: two hard boiled eggs
Dinner: sardine salad made in mayo and half avocado.
Essential shopping list to get you keto meal ready
Any ketogenic meal should include healthy fats and proteins. To prepare a good meal plan you need to know the essential ingredients to stock up on.
It is important to stock up on keto-friendly veggies and other food items to add to your recipes.
To help you get your essential right we have created a shopping list which you can follow on your next grocery errand:
- Eggs: keep yourself stocked up on eggs always as they are a great fix for any mealtime or snack time hunger cravings.
- Meat: pasture raised beef and pork
- Poultry: grass fed chicken and turkey
- Low carb veggies: choose your pick from mushrooms cauliflowers, peppers, greens, onions and tomatoes and keep them stocked up.
- Cheese: there are hundreds of options available from goat cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, blue cheese to brie, parmesan and cream cheese. Grab them all and create lovely flavorful variety of meals.
- Healthy oils: always select healthy oils for cooking your meals. So, purchase coconut oil, avocado oil or olive oil.
- Avocados: if you are a guacamole fan then you can never get enough of these. Also, they make for amazing toppings. So, get some ready to eat and some unripe ones to use them till your next errand.
- Fatty fish: salmon, mackerel, herring and sardine needs to be in your bucket.
- Shellfish: shrimps, crabs and oysters will make your keto meal a delight.
- Berries: choose your pick from the lovely flavorsome berry family. Our favorites include strawberries, blueberries and blackberries.
- Nuts: walnuts, pistachios, almonds and pecans for your nutrient fix.
- Full -fat dairy: heavy cream, sour cream, butter and yogurt to add healthy fats to your meal.
- Seeds: chia seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Condiments: these are the soul of your food. Salt, pepper herbs, vinegar and spices to save you from boredom.
- Nut butter: natural peanut butter is a lovely option.
Take home message:
A ketogenic meal plan should consist of whole foods and plenty of fiber rich- low carb vegetables. You should try to rotate meat and vegetables as each have different nutrients and health benefits.
Keep your staples handy to stay consistent and avoid temptations.
Although keto meals mainly rotate around non-vegetarian option, there are plenty vegetarian option to choose from as well.
Your keto meal can be as diverse and flavorful as you want and need not be boring and bland like other diet foods.
Fortunately, With the popularity of the ketogenic diet, you can get a lot of keto meals ideas online and through books. Do your research and customize your plan as per your tastes and lifestyle preferences.
You can experiment and create lovely recipes that will make you happy.
Just try to be consistent with your plans and try to make plans in advance which will help you stay focused and follow the diet effectively.